Monday, November 16, 2009

Tag, you're it- again...and again...again

I think all of us have had the experience of being picked last for games or teams, am I right? Some of us? A couple people? One techno geek in Cheboygan? Anybody? Okay, I alone have had the experience of being picked last on many occaisions. I was picked near the top for spelling or history bees but its hard to parlay that into sex appeal in 5th grade. Still, I did have a good experience. And I did get to be both the "hide-ee" and the "hide-or" in hide n' seek as well as the "tag-ee" and "tag-or" in many of the various spin-offs of tag. Not so for my son.

I watched him playing outside the other day with his cousin and a couple of other children. They were playing tag and big surprise, Dakota was it. I have watched him play various chasing or hiding games with neighborhood kids and others before and though the names and faces change, there is one constant- he is always IT. I admit he doesn't always get the nuances of these games so he is usually pretty easy to find or catch but come on, there's no way that's an accident.

Now inserting the requisite disclaimer that I of course AM biased but harbor absolutely NO lingering bitternes toward the emotionally stunted delinquents who were part of my youth, I think the choosing of Dakota as "It" is by collective agreement. They don't discuss it among themselves - at least I don't think they do- yet they arrive at the same choice. Do I think this means that they are all cruel and picking on him? No. I think they all want to win a few times and they know they can get by him pretty easily and he makes an easy target- the same way people zero in on the weaker at any age. If they were to play long enough they would probably, eventually, tire of him being it and decide it would be fun for them to be it for awhile. Still, don't you think it's worthy of an anthropological study to see how this works? If it weren't my kid, I definitely would.

It's hard not to just get angry or sad when I see this or to make it personal, that is- about me instead of him. Maybe it doesn't bother him; maybe he's just glad to be included and that's good enough; maybe I'm making too much of it; maybe I just think "You're not going to treat my kid that way" nanny,nanny, boo,boo. Nah, I'm way more grown up than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment