Tuesday, November 24, 2009

It's not my first rodeo

I love this time of year. It's a great time for being outside and doing great holiday type things. Last week we went to a corn maze for a Saturday afternoon. We do this every year. It takes about an hour to get there so we make a day of it and go out to lunch after the trip. Dakota loves it. And we love it, especially now that he's older. We can send Dakota and his cousin inside and just sit on the outside with hot chocolate, every once in a while answering their calls of "Where are you?" with "I'm right behind you". That can be our secret okay?
In the middle of the maze there's a "bridge". It doesn't go anywhere but you can climb up and look around to figure out where you are and then continue your trip. The steps are pretty steep; even those of us approaching middle age (no laughing) have to watch ourselves. Part of Dakota's syndrome includes under-developed muscles, in his case particularly in his legs. Consequently his legs are not that strong and coupled with his depth perception problem, stairs can be quite a challenge. We (us and the physical therapist) worked a long time on getting him to use alternating feet to go up and down stairs rather than just leading with the same foot all the time. He has finally worked that out most of the time but he will convert back when he is tired.
There we were in the maze at the bridge. He climbed up and then was coming down- with a little difficulty -as we watched anxiously. We felt obliged to add "Be careful, the stairs are steep" more out of habit than anything. To which he replied "I know. These aren't my first stairs you know."
Well of course we though his channeling of Joan Crawford was cute but then we had two questions: 1- Is it time to let him go a little, and 2- where did he learn this sarcasm? Frankly I only had the first question. Secretly I was thinking he was a chip off the old block.
As a parent you want to know that your child can be independent- that's for all children. When your child has had extra needs it becomes more important but somehow it makes it harder to let go. You don't want them hurt or frustrated certainly, but maybe you also- well maybe I- have a hard time changing. I think he is letting me know its time but I'm not sure it is for me.

1 comment:

  1. I love it. After reading this, I am finding myself saying things like "Its not my first Thanksgiving turkey, you know" or "Its not my first time hanging Christmas lights, you know". Mostly because it calls back to me Dakota saying "Its not my first stairs, you know" and it makes me laugh.

    ReplyDelete