Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Dakota Dictionary

  I'm sure that most people are like me in that sometimes when you can't think of exactly the word you're looking for you try to come up with something that seems close. It may not even be a real word but it makes sense to you. I've been known to do this even without the influence of alcohol or sleep depravation. I like to think of it as my way of clearing up the English language- much like getting rid of all the needless letters. I mean what is the point of silent letters? Is it some sort of elitist plot to make the rest of us feel ignorant?
But in my case I knew I made up the word. I knew it was probably not right I just couldn't remember what was right... you have to give me points for creativity. Dakota has his own dictionary and I think his words fall into three categories. There is the category he uses so that something makes sense to him and he should get a lot of points for finding ways to adapt, not to mention they do cut to the chase so you don't have to guess what something means. One example I've mentioned before: he can't say electricity but he knows what it does so he calls it "lightricity". It gets to the point- it does turn on the lights. Of course he has his "case" shoes with him- "case somethin' happens to my nuther ones".
  Then there's the category that all kids have and grow out of generally like saying 'masketti' instead of spaghetti or aluminuminum...or nuculer!
  But there is the third category that I find intriguing. Words that rhyme and are said together are difficult for him: Hontanna Matanna= Hannah Montana. He loves music and singing but for some reason- whether its the rhyming or too much to remember, I don't know- he cannot do it. He sings a line and the rest is completely messed up or he just sings la-la instead. I cannot tell you how many times we have practiced 'Jingle Bells' over the years but he still barely gets it. *Note* This is the most dreaded and feared song in all of history at my house; even six choruses of "Feelings" falls to second now!  And it is not just the difference between easy and difficult words. For example, instead of "toenails" he hears and says "tornadoes"; however, he can say "venomous" with absolutely no problem. Interesting isn't it?  I wish I could unlock this mystery. For some reason I think if we could figure this out we would have the key to how his mind processes and could teach him so much more effectively. Time to put on my Sherlock hat and cape (don't think I don't have them either- Dakota comes by his theatrics naturally) and figure it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment