Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Hot town summer in the city

Summer is a mixed blessing for me. There's a break from the run around routine in the morning to get Dakota ready for school; but, there's the problem of making sure that he doesn't lose any progress he's made during the school year. Homework during the school year is bad enough: when will he be able to focus best, keeping some kind of structured schedule for him so that he knows what to expect in what order at what time of day, when will I have the most patience so I can keep pulling him back to what he is supposed to be doing and on and on. Now don't get me wrong I understand the ADD thing- I have the attention span of wheat toast most of the time  *Note- here is where I insert the usual disclaimer: I love my child and would not trade or change him for the world...* but a child with fetal alcohol syndrome, ADHD, auditory processing difficulties, etc can sometimes make you wish there was a stress patch like the one for nicotine (I think they used to call those mother's little helpers).  We have to continuously search for new mediums that will help him learn. He writes the words on dry erase; constructs them out of syllable cards we make for the words; we have had him write them out with his finger in a pile of sugar or flour on a tray so he could have the tactile sense of the word to help him remember; his tutor made little phone looking things out of pvc so he could hear himself when he says the words or spells them. And all of these work but there's a lot for him to do there; its frustrating for all of us. Its often very hard to know how hard to push him- what can he truly not do and what does he just not want to do, and of course its summer and he has better things to do! To make things worse its 105 degrees here and my patience level goes down as the temp goes up. It's a cruel,cruel summer.

2 comments:

  1. Finally a break in the heat and this always helps! Creative parenting hard at work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is truly exhaustive and I always feel guilty that I am not doing enough. I have never been able to clarify if Martin cannot do something because a)unmotivated b)doesn't understand it c)is incapable due to brain dysfunction d)today is just not a good day. I keep telling myself I am just planting seeds. It is up to him according to his own needs and abilities to get things growing. And I have indeed seen some incredibly beautiful and surprising blooms through the years.

    ReplyDelete