Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Anger ticks me off

People have said I have a short fuse on occasion [you can't find those people anymore- 'nuff said ;-] ...I'm working on it, GEEZ PEOPLE!  My worst moments- and I hope I am not alone in this- are when I stub my toe or hit my thumb with something; man I think I even curse in several dead languages. Then I get more angry because I'm angry. I know...its a character flaw for which I, unfortunately, have no excuse. One effect of Fetal Alcohol Syndrome is a quick temper which- much like my weight- you have to manage the rest of your life. Dakota can get angry very quickly and interestingly it is the most pronounced when he gets hurt. He also gets angry when he is frustrated by something such as when people don't understand what he is talking about. We have not been able to figure out if he is more angry with himself or the people he is talking to- he can't explain it to us, but he has always been this way. The good news is he is over it very quickly, almost as though it never happened. I remember the first time I met Dakota. His social worker told me about this and said that if you distracted him from his anger or frustration he was over it in a second. Almost on cue he got furious over his blocks falling on his foot and she showed him her sunglasses- shazaam, it was done. I don't know if that part is also true of FAS (maybe some of you know) or an effect of ADD. Whichever it is we are trying to teach him better ways of dealing with it when he gets angry. He has made progress because he doesn't lash out the way he did as a toddler so something is working. Now maybe I can work on myself- perhaps twirling shiny objects in front of my eyes...

No comments:

Post a Comment