Thursday, September 3, 2009

Day/Night at the Museum

We have been away at a conference in Chicago- did you miss us? We had a lovely time visiting aquariums, museums, very tall buildings (at the top of which (observation deck) I had to cling to the pillars in the middle of the room while toddlers offered to hold my hand so I could walk over to the glass and look out- show offs!)  and a baseball game. We did all this for the cost of the budget of a small nation yet, when asked, Dakota said his favorite thing was standing in the park in the fountain getting soaking wet- for free! Another stinkin' lesson learned.
Museum visits always pose a challenge to me with Dakota. The docents want to tell us all about everything-which is great- but they have no hint from looking at Dakota that he would have any trouble processing what they are saying. He usually stares at them either with a lost look or a goofy smile that means he's about to do something silly like making a face or falling on the floor to distract everyone from the fact that he doesn't understand what's going on. In these situations I will repeat what they said or play along with him and be silly or answer for him. Is this the wrong approach? I don't ever tell them he doesn't understand or explain why he doesn't, but we often end up just walking away which leaves me feeling like the goofy one or like I'm giving them the impression I am embarrassed by him. Of course in the end who cares what they think I just don't want Dakota to think I am embarrassed by him and I don't want him to be ashamed of me (I think he was a little bit embarrassed by me lying on the 94th floor of the Hancock building clinging to the fibers of carpet begging for help to get to the elevator). How much info is overload for him? I must remind myself that every moment doesn't have to be a teaching one after all. Maybe we can work out some sort of signal for when he has had enough that is between extremes of possible injury from falling down or the subtlety of his eyes glazing over. Perhaps a museum - outside of a children's museum or Dora the Explorer's kid's exhibit- is more than he can do right now. Oh great- now my eyes are glazing over.

2 comments:

  1. I was always so eager to show Martin everything. I wanted it all to be available to him. You know, fill in the gaps. I hoped he could pick and choose what he wanted to be interested in. But I too learned that it doesnt take much for an overload. So I bought memberships to museums, zoo, etc and we would go to see just one thing and return again and again. This is not doable when you are visiting out of town sights, of course. I think the signal is a great idea. Hope you enjoyed Chicago. I lived there for 15 yrs and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an excellent suggestion. I am going to use that here in town at the science museum- one thing at a time. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete