Thursday, August 6, 2009

V-a-c-a-t-i-o-n...that spells HELP

I have just returned from 4 days of driving vacation fun (spelled he!!) with Dakota, my 15 year old nephew and 2 family friends- boys ages 11 and 16. I am not sure if I should have had a lobotomy before we left or have one now. Do you think its too late? 

Besides the drama of 4 boys wanting to watch 4 different things on one tv, Dakota sleeping with me and alternately kicking me black and blue and throwing up all over the bed, spending 3 days drying out bathing suits and, the utter lack of sleep aids for children; there is the absolute torture of spending 3 nights smelling a room filled with 2 adolescents, 1 pre-pubescent and one vomiting boy. Man, I need medication.

One of the bad parts is worrying about Dakota. Not about the water- though I do worry because he is not a great swimmer- but about whether or not he is lonely. He is afraid of the water rides, or just doesn't like them, so he didn't go with the other kids. He stayed in the lazy river area but was by himself. I felt sad watching him float around talking to himself or his pretend classmates. He occasionally tries to interact with other kids but doesn't know how. He doesn't seem to realize that they don't share his make believe friends or story. Sometimes he tries to copy behavior he sees other kids do to each other as a way of reaching out but he is very awkward about it and he doesn't understand the boundaries other kids have for people they don't know. Its very hard to know when to leave him alone and when to step in and help him. Especially since I was not good at making friends when I was young. I was self-conscious about being poor and uncool, later about being overweight. But he still does it- despite being scared. Maybe he is teaching me as much as I am hopefully teaching him.

1 comment:

  1. I attended Robin's Lenten Series a few years ago which was writing "This I Believe" essays. My essay was about loneliness being the greatest disability no matter what the age. And it by far the biggest thing I worry about for my son.

    ReplyDelete